X•over Pro Version History
The following list details the features that have been added and the "bugs" that have been fixed with each maintenance release of X•over 3 Pro. The most recent changes are listed first. Note: Each maintenance update of X•over Pro includes all of the previous changes. You only need to install the latest update to obtain all of the previous improvements.
Version 3.0.18 changes (10-Nov-13):
- Added two new import filters: (1) A DATS / WT3 import filter for driver Thiele-Small parameter measurements made with a Dayton Audio Test System (DATS) or Woofer Tester 3 (WT3). (2) An OmniMic import filter for acoustic response measurements made with a Dayton Audio OmniMic system.
- Updated the CLIO import filter so it will import a 1 kHz Le (voice coil inductance) value if a 10 kHz value is not present.
- Made additional improvements to the Thiele-Small and acoustic response import filters to make them easier to use.
Version 3.0.17 changes (29-Jan-13):
- Harris Tech's contact information was updated again.
Version 3.0.17 changes (23-Feb-10):
- A new import filter was added for TrueRTA measurements. It imports acoustic response from text files created with TrueRTA.
- Harris Tech's contact information was also updated again.
Version 3.0.16 changes (13-Apr-09):
- Updated the contact information for Harris Tech in the program and on-screen manual.
Version 3.0.16 changes (05-May-07) ---for Windows 7 & Vista--- (not needed for Win XP):
- The "sendkey" function was replaced with a different keyboard handler in order to be compatible with Windows 7 and Vista. This fixes the fatal error "Run-time error 70" message that occurs when you press the "Enter" key while running the program under Windows 7 and Vista.
- The on-screen manual was replaced with an html version that is compatible with Windows 7 and Vista.
Version 3.0.15 changes (11-Apr-05):
- Removed the driver polarity from the impedance net plot line calculations when the phase is included. This is because the driver polarity does not affect the impedance presented to the amplifier.
Version 3.0.15 changes (29-Mar-05):
- A new import filter was added for the Woofer Tester II. It can import the measured Thiele-Small parameters from "log" files created with the "Export to BassBox" command in the Woofer Tester II's File menu. The new Woofer Tester II can measure both open and sealed back drivers (woofers and tweeters) and the import filter allows data to be imported for any driver (woofer, midrange or tweeter).
- A new feature was added to the System Impedance graph. The user can now control whether the net impedance plot line is summed with or without the phase in similar fashion as the net amplitude response plot line. The feature is controlled with a new net impedance "ø" (phase) checkbox on the "Graph" tab of the Preferences window.
- The calculation of the band-pass filter of a 3rd-order 3-way crossover network was tweaked to provide a better response on the low-pass side of the band-pass filter.
Version 3.0.14 changes (10-Sep-04):
- The "Open X•over Design File" dialog was enhanced to remember the last visited folder under a wider variety of circumstances.
- The ability to display the level of sealed-back drivers in the Normalized Amplitude graph with minimal T-S parameters was enhanced.
- An error was fixed that prevented a correct graph level for multiple and identical drivers under special circumstances where separate wiring is used and few parameters are known.
Version 3.0.14 changes (03-Sep-04):
- An error was fixed that prevented a correct graph level for multiple and identical sealed-back drivers under special circumstances when Vas, Cms, Mms, and Rms are all unknown.
Version 3.0.14 changes (31-Aug-04):
- An error was fixed that prevented a correct graph level for sealed-back drivers under special circumstances when Vas, Cms, Mms, and Rms are all unknown.
Version 3.0.14 changes (17-Aug-04):
- Several errors were fixed that affected the relative sensitivity and response shape of multiple identical drivers when they are wired separately.
Version 3.0.14 changes (09-Aug-04):
- An error was fixed that affected two-way 4th-order Bessel crossover networks. It caused a ripple in the high-pass filter (tweeter) and created a -7.5 dB crossover point. The updated filter creates a crossover point at -5 dB similar to a 2nd-order Bessel filter. The error did not affect the accuracy of the graphs. Note: These crossover points are referenced to the electrical response of the network. The actual crossover point will vary depending on the driver impedance response and whether or not impedance compensation is used.
- An error was fixed that caused a noninverted polarity default to be used when a two-way 2nd-order Linkwitz-Riley crossover network is first selected. This update assigns an inverted polarity to the tweeter. A similar problem was also fixed with three-way 3rd-order crossover networks with regard to the midrange driver polarity. Of course, at any time the user can override the default and manually choose a polarity setting as before.
- An error was fixed that prevented the graph cursor from properly updating when the "Overlay" mode is turned off.
Version 3.0.13 changes (30-Mar-04):
- An error was fixed that prevented manual changes to impedance equalization capacitor Cma from being displayed in the graphs. Cma is only used for impedance EQ of the resonant peak of an open-back driver in a closed box. Other impedance equalization configurations were not affected.
- A rare cosmetic error was corrected that occurred only when X•over Pro had been launched indirectly by double-clicking on a crossover network design file. The error caused the program's title window to close when it was opened using the "About X•over Pro" command of the Help menu.
Version 3.0.13 changes (15-Mar-04):
- Corrected a cursor problem where the graph cursor would continue to track a previous normalized response curve of a driver whose L-pad had been removed.
Version 3.0.13 changes (12-Jan-04):
- Some minor cosmetic improvements were made to some of the controls to enable them to better support custom Windows system colors (especially dark color schemes). Note: We recommend that one of Window's standard color schemes be used since this produces the best results.
- All reference to Bose's original bandpass patent were removed from the program and on-screen manual since the patent has expired.
Version 3.0.12 changes (30-Nov-03):
- The Lms GDT/DAT/TXT import filter was updated to better handle newer version 4.5 graph data files.
Version 3.0.12 changes (24-Jun-03):
- The CLIO Thiele-Small parameter import filter was updated again to handle different "Le" labels. Before this update, the import filter may misinterpret the value of "Le" in some file versions.
Version 3.0.12 changes (30-Apr-03):
- The CLIO Thiele-Small parameter import filter was updated to handle newer versions of CLIO.
- The crossover/filter frequency input boxes were updated to better recognize when a change is made even when that change restores a former value.
Version 3.0.12 changes (31-Mar-03):
- An error was fixed in the L-pad window that prevented the attenuation from being removed from the graphs when an L-pad is removed from the circuit.
Version 3.0.11 changes (18-Feb-03):
- Some minor cosmetic improvements were made to a few windows to better accommodate large system fonts under Windows XP.
Version 3.0.11 changes (08-Nov-02):
- Made some additional enhancements to the L-pad calculator. It now allows the user to enter just one resistor (either Rp1 or Rp2) in case the full L-pad is not desired.
- Enhanced the "EQ" tab of X•over Pro's main window so that changes to an L-pad resistor (Rp1, Rp2) cause the attenuation value above them to be immediately recalculated, providing real-time feedback of changes.
Version 3.0.11 changes (17-Sep-02):
- The acoustic data import filter for LMS measurement systems was updated to support newer "dat" and "txt" data files.
- The L-pad calculator was enhanced to provide the ability to change the impedance of the load (Zt) seen by a crossover network filter. It was also updated so that it can perform reverse calculations. In other words, you can enter the series and parallel resistor values (Rp1, Rp2) and it will calculate the attenuation and total load impedance (Zt) that result.
- A new preference option was added so that the user can specify whether he/she wants the program to use the DC resistance (Re) value as a basis for all calculations (this is the default) or the nominal impedance (Z) value.
- The technical support telephone and fax numbers were updated to reflect the new area code that has been assigned to us. The old area code was 616. The new area code is 269.
- The "Online Manual" was renamed to the "On-Screen Manual" because today the word "online" is more often associated with "on the internet" rather than "on the computer". As before, the on-screen manual resides entirely on the user's computer with X•over Pro and no internet connection is required for its use.
Version 3.0.10 changes (15-Mar-02):
- An error was fixed that caused some manually entered component values to be replaced with calculated values when a three-way crossover network file is opened.
Version 3.0.10 changes (22-Jan-02):
- A new acoustic data import filter was added for Sample Champion measurement systems. It can import frequency response text files.
- X•over Pro can be launched by double-clicking on a crossover network design (xo3) file. In the past, when this was done, X•over Pro saw only the old-style DOS file name and some "File" menu commands like "Save Design As..." were not enabled until after the design was changed. These things were improved: X•over Pro is now able to retrieve the full extended file name and it immediately enables appropriate commands in the "File" menu.
Version 3.0.10 changes (12-Dec-01):
- The display properties of X•over Pro were "tweaked" to add better support for the new Windows XP user interface. Prior versions of X•over Pro are functionally compatible with Windows XP but they may not look as nice if the new XP display properties "style" is used. For example, the background color of some tabs may not be consistent. This update enables X•over Pro to look its best under all versions of Windows, regardless of the display properties "style" settings or title bar thickness.
- An error was fixed in the Phase Response graph that sometimes causes discontinuities in the phase plot line when it reverses direction. Improvements were also made for phase plot lines that begin below the graph.
Version 3.0.9 changes (06-Sep-01):
- A "shift" feature was added to the plot color indicator. Normally, clicking a plot color indicator causes the plot color to increment to the next available color. Holding the "Shift" key down while clicking on the plot color indicator now causes the plot color to decrement to the previous available plot color. In this way you can return to a previous color without cycling through all of them.
- An improvement was made to the Phase Response graph to enable it to better handle rapid phase angle rotations when vent resonance peaks are included in the plot lines of vented and bandpass boxes. This feature is relevant only when a box design with vent information is imported into X•over Pro from BassBox Pro. To make the phase angle plot line more readable, the phase angle of the vent resonance peaks is now normalized to the phase angle of the speaker without the vent resonance peaks. This produces sharp spikes at the resonance peaks in place of a wrapped plot line.
Version 3.0.9 changes (19-Jul-01):
- An error was fixed that caused the "Le" parameter to be misinterpreted as Henries instead of millihenries when using it as a criteria in a database search by driver parameters.
- The database search by parameters feature was enhanced to automatically include all possible dual voice coil wiring methods when a dual voice coil driver is specified for an open back driver.
Version 3.0.9 changes (12-Jun-01):
- An error was fixed regarding imported box designs from BassBox Pro/Lite that allowed the amplitude response to shift when multiple drivers in a single-tuned bandpass box are wired separately and the "Drivers do NOT add coherently" option is turned on. This error did not affect single-tuned bandpass boxes with multiple drivers when they are assumed to sum coherently and it did not affect other bandpass boxes or any single-driver boxes.
Version 3.0.8 changes (09-Apr-01):
- A new acoustic data import filter was added for Brüel & Kjaer (B&K) analyzers like the model 2012. It can import frequency response text files.
Version 3.0.8 changes (14-Jan-01):
- An error was fixed that caused the wrong size font to be used when the schematic is copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time that the X•over Pro main window is enlarged.
Version 3.0.8 changes (30-Nov-00):
- Added a new print option that replaces grey lines with black lines when the "Enable Color Graphics" option is turned off. This option is provided for those printers that have trouble printing grey lines.
- An error was fixed that sometimes caused the "net" plot line of the graphs to be sent to the printer with a color attribute when the "Enable Color Graphics" option is turned off.
- An error was fixed that prevented the graph redraw buffer from being fully cleared when the "Clear All Graph Plots" command was selected in the Graph menu.
- An error was fixed that allowed the estimated impedance of a filter to be plotted when the System Impedance graph is refreshed and when there was insufficient information. Normally, a filter's impedance should only be plotted when enough information has been entered about the driver, including Qms and Re.
- An error was fixed that predicted too much low-frequency energy for some box designs with passive radiators. This problem affected primarily designs with passive radiator diaphragm (piston) areas that are much larger than the driver's diaphragm area.
Version 3.0.7 changes (10-Sep-00):
- Added more decimal places to the cursor display.
- Added support for vented box response curves to the acoustic response normalization feature.
- Added import filter for CLIO Thiele-Small data files to the "Import" button on the "Parameters" tab of the Driver Properties window.
- The printouts were improved by making the line thickness of the schematic and graphs automatically adjust for the resolution of the printer.
- The BassBox Pro/Lite import filter was updated to support BassBox 6.0.11 Pro speaker design files.
- An error was fixed that prevented the graph memory buttons of the Graph Properties window from being reset when the "Clear All Memories" command in the Graph menu is used.
- An error was fixed that prevented the "EQ" tab of the main window from being updated when the "Switch to Standard Components Now!" command of the Network menu is used.
- An error was fixed that caused the "Calculate All" button of the Driver Properties window to sometimes appear at inappropriate times.
Version 3.0.6 changes (11-Apr-00):
- An error was fixed that caused the program to use the BL value of an individual coil of a dual voice coil driver when the voice coils are wired in series. This error did not affect separately wired or parallel wired dual voice coils.
Version 3.0.6 changes (29-Mar-00):
- An error was fixed that caused filters in the on-screen schematic to overlap when the network is set to "separate filters" and the Xover Pro main window is scaled larger than its standard size.
Version 3.0.6 changes (16-Mar-00):
- Previous releases of Xover Pro automatically recalculated L-pad resistor values (Rp1 and Rp2) whenever the impedance equalization network was toggled on or off. The driver impedance (Z) was used in the calculations when the impedance equalization network was turned off. The driver DC resistance (Re) was used when the impedance equalization network was turned on. A message window now appears to ask the user if he/she wants to allow the program to recalculate the L-pads. In this way, manually entered resistor values can be preserved.
- An error was fixed that sometimes prevented driver polarity settings from being restored when a design file is opened.
Version 3.0.6 changes (31-Jan-00):
- Added a new import filter that allows driver Thiele-Small parameters to be imported from a LAUD version 3.12 (or later) ATS measurement file. This feature is accessed with the existing "Import" button at the bottom of the Driver Properties window.
- Added a "Don't show this message in the future" checkbox to the messages which appear when the program suspects that a dual voice coil parameter may have a problem. This will allow these messages to be ignored, if desired.
- Improved the tab order of the Parameters tab of the Driver Properties window.
Version 3.0.5 changes (18-Dec-99):
- The passive radiator algorithms were updated per the BassBox 6.0.9 Pro update of 18-Dec-99.
- The impedance equalization network calculations were enhanced to provide better support for equalizing the resonance peaks of passive radiator boxes.
Version 3.0.5 changes (08-Dec-99):
- Added a new feature that walks a first-time user through program configuration when the program is first run. In this way, key settings like English or metric units can be set before the program is used.
- Enhanced the on-screen manual. The "Help Topic" command in the Help menu was replaced with an "Online Manual" command.
- Enhanced the external resistance feature so that the crossover network calculations include the effects of Rx2, the resistance between driver and the network. (Previously, the effects of Rx2 were only visible in the graphs.)
- Added a new normalization feature to the Response tabs of the Driver Properties and Edit Database Driver Data windows to make it much easier to normalize the acoustic data to the predicted Thiele-Small response as required.
- Added a new feature which enables an individual graph memory to be cleared.
- Added the graph "include" settings to the items that are remembered when the program is closed.
- A new "Drivers do NOT add coherently" option was added to the mechanical configuration for designs with more than one of the same driver where two identical drivers sum to +3 dB instead of +6 dB.
- A new "Separate" option was added to the electrical configuration for multi-woofer designs where all woofers are driven from a separate amplifier channel.
- Added additional import capability for CLIO FFT files.
- Strengthened some general-purpose error-handling routines.
- Added many new keyboard shortcuts for the graph options. This includes the use of the arrow keys to move the cursor.
- An error was fixed that allowed some "Include" settings in the graph popup menu to be selected at inappropriate times (such as insufficient data).
- Switched to a new full-color CD-ROM label. Replacement CD-ROMs (CD-R format) that contain the latest release of the program and driver database can be ordered for a small fee.
Version 3.0.4 changes (10-Aug-99):
- Added a new feature which enables the user to estimate a driver's mechanical Q (Qms) from its free air impedance response. This feature is available from the Parameters tab of the Driver Properties window in "Expert" mode. To facilitate this, a new Driver Qms Estimator window is accessible from an "Est" button beside the Qms parameter whenever Qms is blank and there are not enough known parameters to calculate it.
- Added the ability to calculate the electrical Q (Qes) in "Expert" mode with different parameter sets.
Version 3.0.4 changes (14-Jul-99):
- Added support for international date formats to the driver database editor. For example, Xover Pro will now accept non-English names for months as long as Windows 95/98/NT is set accordingly.
Version 3.0.4 changes (6-Jul-99):
- Updated the support for importing of BassBox Pro 6.0.8 design files into a crossover network design.
- Fixed an error that sometimes prevented capacitor and inductor unit symbols from displaying properly on the EQ tab of the main window.
- Added a feature to prevent midrange equalization circuit components from appearing in a design when it has been switched to a two-way crossover network.
- Fixed an error that prevented all drivers in a linked two-way or three-way driver from loading from the driver database.
Version 3.0.4 changes (27-Jun-99):
- Added separate closed box and vented box default box leakage loss (QL) settings. These default settings are used to estimate the box losses when necessary. The new settings can be controlled on the Box tab of the Properties window.
- Added a new feature to turn off Qa and gamma and use "classical" box calculations which ignore the effects of damping or "fill" inside the box.
- Added several new features to the acoustic preview graphs of the Response tab of the Driver Properties window and Edit Database Driver Data window. The new features include frequency grid lines, a zero reference line and a red focus line.
- Fixed an error that can sometimes cause the program to crash when using the mini preview graph popup menu while one of the full-size Graph windows and Graph Properties window are open.
Version 3.0.3 changes (17-Apr-99):
- A printout error was corrected that caused impedance equalization data to print on top of filter data. This error only occurred when a single first-order low-pass filter was used.
- An uncommon mouse pointer error was corrected: The mouse pointer was sometimes not restored to a normal pointer when acoustic data being normalized also needed interpolation or extrapolation.
Version 3.0.3 changes (6-Apr-99):
- Companies that are added to the driver database are now required to be identified as either a manufacturer, representative and/or distributor before they can be added.
- A error was fixed that caused the program to close if the Preferences window or the Print Design window is opened when a missing print logo picture file is specified.
Version 3.0.3 changes (31-Mar-99):
- A feature was added to store the print title block information in each Xover Pro design file.
- The "save" function was improved to cause the File Open dialog to remember the path of an open design file. This makes it easier to "Save As..." to the same folder.
- An error was fixed that caused extra digits to be added to the input boxes in the Parallel-Series Value Calculator window.
- An error was fixed that caused plot line and cursor problems with the high-pass plot line with two-way crossover networks when both the tweeter's efficiency and 1-W sensitivity are unknown.
Version 3.0.3 changes (22-Mar-99):
- A couple of "tips" were updated.
- The printout of the band-pass gain (BPG) of band-pass filters in 3-way crossover networks was improved to prevent the label from overlapping the value.
- R1+Rp1 was added to the printouts for the band-pass filters in 3-way crossover networks when both resistor R1 and an L-Pad are included in the circuit.
- The driver parameters that are included in the printouts follow the "Expert Mode" setting of the Parameters tab of the Driver Properties window. When "Expert Mode" is turned OFF, only those parameters which are displayed in the window will be included in the printouts. An error was fixed that prevented some of the relevant parameters from being printed in this mode. When "Expert Mode" is turned ON all available driver parameters are included in the printouts. This was not changed.
Version 3.0.3 changes (9-Mar-99):
- A feature was added to enable importing of acoustic measurements from CLIO systems.
- An error was fixed that reversed the polarity labels on the high-pass filter in 2nd-order two-way crossover networks and band-pass filter in 2nd-order three-way crossover networks. The error affected both the schematic on screen and in the printouts. (Note: The settings in the Driver menu were correct.)
Version 3.0.2 changes (10-Feb-99):
- A feature was added allowing Qms to be calculated when Rms is known.
- The MS Sans Serif font was replaced with the Arial font throughout the program to improve its immunity to system or desktop theme font changes in Windows 98.
- The list of component values in the main window was widened slightly so that more digits are visible, especially when the Windows display driver is set to use a large system font.
- A feature was added to provide the capability of internally estimating the half-space reference efficiency from the 2.83-V SPL (sensitivity) for those graphs that require it.
- The positioning of the "Calc" button on the Dimensions tab of the Edit Database Driver Data window was adjusted to better track layout changes for different sealed back driver shapes.
- An internal branding option was added.
Version 3.0.2 changes (17-Jan-99):
- An error was fixed that sometimes prevented proper interpolation of acoustic data when the data is normalized.
Version 3.0.2 changes (30-Dec-98):
- Enhanced the Model name search function of the Driver Locator so that it ignores spaces in names when it searches the driver database for matching names.
- An error was fixed that caused the program to sometimes crash when the parallel-wired value of BL is zeroed for a dual voice coil driver.
- An error was fixed that caused the program to sometimes crash when switching between open back and sealed back driver types after editing a driver.
Version 3.0.2 changes (19-Dec-98):
- The "Calc", "Calc All" and "Clear (All)" buttons of the Driver Properties and Edit Database Driver Data windows were updated. The "Calc" buttons will now allow Dia and/or Sd to be calculated if Xmax and Vd are known.
- A feature was added to automatically remove the low-pass effects of the driver inductance (Le) from the amplitude response graph whenever the driver acoustic response is included. The effects of Le are assumed to be already included in the driver acoustic data.
Version 3.0.2 changes (14-Dec-98):
- A new "Polarity"option was added to the Driver Menu that allows the polarity of each driver to be individually controlled.
- An error was fixed that caused the Color Value Decoder to drop a zero when the second color is black.
- The graph amplitude response algorithms were enhanced to better show the effects of resistor R1 in the band-pass filter of three-way crossover networks.
Version 3.0.1 changes (9-Dec-98):
- A new feature was added to include the net driver parameters of multiple drivers in the printouts.
- Two new features were added to allow the graph on-axis piston band and diffraction response options to be turned on/off independently for each driver.
- The "include" options of the graphs were added to the Xover Pro design files so that the graphs will be automatically configured each time a design file is reopened.
- An error was fixed that prevented acoustic data files from being imported.
- An error was fixed that prevented the schematic from being updated when R1 is omitted or included in the band-pass filter in a three-way crossover network.
- An error was fixed that affected the net amplitude response when the acoustic response, on-axis piston band response or diffraction response is included in the graphs.
- An error was fixed that sometimes caused the cursor to mistrack the high-pass filter response.
Version 3.0.1 changes (24-Nov-98):
- An error was fixed that sometimes allowed the plot lines in some graphs to print outside of the graph border in the printouts.
Version 3.0.1 changes (23-Nov-98):
- An error was fixed that prevented the "Don't show this message in the future" checkbox from appearing in the message window that displayes the number of drivers found in the database after a search.
- An error was fixed that prevented a new driver from being displayed in the Driver Locator window.
Version 3.0.1 changes (21-Nov-98):
- An error was fixed that prevented the graphs from printing when no box information is entered.